Monday, August 11, 2008

Nothing better to say

Things have been so crazy lately that I don't even know where to start. In the past few weeks, I have...
  • Completely finished my thesis introduction and the first two research chapters
  • Written some heartfelt acknowledgments. Which I wish I could post here (but I can't, not until everything else is done)
  • Worked much of the way through a really bad draft of the third research chapter
  • Sort of, maybe, not really contemplated the concluding chapter
  • Not even thought about writing my defense powerpoint slides
  • Canned (I'm not kidding) 34 pints of tomatoes, peaches, apricots, and various kinds of jam (more on that later)
  • Not gotten botulism (yet)
  • Gone to Yoga three times a week. This is new. And cliche.
  • Fell waaaaay behind on my blog reading
  • Not edited the photos for or told a single story about our West Coast trip
  • Finally figured out this f@#$$! piece of s#$! of a markup language
  • --> Actually, let me take that back. LaTeX rocks. It was just the wrong time for me to learn how to use it.
  • Realized that my thesis topic kind of sucks
  • Realized I don't have any answers about my topic or my research
  • Realized that I'm now at the point of knowing more about my topic and my research than anyone else does
  • Realized that nobody knows anything about my topic

And, the real important one, I have...
  • Generally speaking, been a terrible friend to everyone around me
  • Been very fortunate to have such understanding friends (and husband)

So what's left?
  • About 20 pages of writing (but it's double spaced!)
  • Somewhere in the range of 15 figures
  • A tiny bit of data analysis
  • 3 more meetings with my adviser
  • 3 weeks until submission
  • 4 weekends of work until the defense
  • 29 days until the butterflies go away

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can do it and I promise it'll be worth it. Promise! (Okay, I don't have the PhD but a couple of masters, count, right?!)

And, my blog will be waiting for you when you get back. You'll get to ooh and ahh over my sorbet.