Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A sheepish grin plus several excuses


Okay, so I said I'd post after we got back from Italy. I didn't mean to lie! I really believed what I said...when I said it... err, I didn't say exactly when I'd post regularly, did I? The thing thing is... well, you know. It just kinda happened. And while I won't pretend I didn't break your trust, I will offer the following lame excuses:
  1. I had 1900 photos from our vacation to sort, edit, upload, caption and distribute.
  2. Not that I actually have gotten anything accomplished since getting back, but, there's the job.
  3. The post-wedding-honeymoon-get-in-shape-be-proactive-to-do-list slump.
  4. Summer heat sucks, the kitchen is the hottest room, and we don't use enough AC to make a difference.
The funny thing about the summer heat is that it doesn't discourage me from creating edible concoctions (indeed, I find myself cooking and serving up just as much in July as in February), but it does make me disinclined to document the activities. Because when your face is sweaty and your hair is sticky and you're leaning over a pot of simmering, well something, do you really want to reach for the camera? I thought not. No, what you really want to do is get the heck out of the kitchen until the curry lentils are done and you can eat in front two fans and a AC unit



That said, I do miss this blog, both writing it as well as reading your comments. So I offer a compromise. That is, if you'll have me back:
  1. Pictures of Italy now
  2. Pictures of Blueberry-Buckle-To-Die-For later
Now while I can provide you with aforementioned photos immediately, the blueberry buckle under question is stilling sitting on the kitchen counter, with a small corner scooped away for tasting. I don't have the photo yet. But I can tell you that the batter bowl was can-I-eat-the-whole-thing fantastic and the recipe is so easy that I simply can't not share it with you soon.

Back to the photos. Here's the trip. Here's the wedding. Here's us after the wedding hanging out at Roman Forum. Did I just say "hanging out at the Roman Forum"? Thought so. The wedding was more than I could ask for, the trip was amazing, and I feel like we succesfully did things our way while maintaining traditions that were important to us. There's a small part of me that still misses all the fuss and fanfare that a 200 person sit-down-dinner would have brought, but that part is quickly overwhelmed when I close my eyes and picture the simple, romantic and personal time with our families that we had instead. I hope you enjoy the pictures in the links above, and I thought it would be fun, in the spirit of closing one chapter of my life and opening another, to add in two more.

First, what I looked like on a "pre-date" hiking-date with Greg (a Wednesday night dinner and a movie plus kiss was to follow several days later). I think he vaguely mentioned that day that he "had a thing for long hair". I think I started growing it out that day - a cosmetic decision I don't regret for a minute (can anyone say ponytail?) I also stopped dying it pink, and that was another good move.


Second, what I looked like, or rather where I was, when he proposed (I'm the one on the right). In New Orleans. Doing a habitat for humanity project. Away for two weeks. Covered in sweat, grime, toxic chemicals. Lacking cell phone reception. And so excited on this day, the last day of the trip, and what I just realized was about to be the first day of something else, that I couldn't even push a wheelbarrow.

2 comments:

brett said...

Cool blog. And you know I'm speaking the truth, because I deign to use that word. Blog. Maybe it's my nasally voice, but that word just sounds obnoxious. Not that I'm above it! I have a blog as well. And I've added yours to my RSS reader's (highly selective) list.

I think people will forgive the lapse in new content. Hell, I post less often, and I don't have any pitiful excuse like a life commitment or travel to Europe. Car parts are more expensive than blueberries, though. You gotta give me that.

Anonymous said...

If swelling around the removal site is experienced, apply a cool compress or cold cloth to the area. Tylenol can be taken for pain as needed. Avoid shaving, as the risk for scab removal is greatly increased. MaterialsBreathable fabrics that wick moisture away from your skin and dry easily are ideal for cold weather bicycling in snow, ice or rain. The Oklahoma Bicycle Society states that cyclists should never wear cotton or cotton blends next to their skin in cold weather for reasons of both comfort and safety. Cotton retains moisture, which can cause hypothermia. Do not pick at or scrape the scab that may form, as this can lead to permanent scarring. Avoid aspirin for pain, as this can cause unnecessary bleeding. If the treated site becomes irritated, red, inflamed or a pus-like liquid forms, contact your doctor immediately. [url=http://www.cyclingcloth.com/]Cycling Cloth[/url] Make a resolution to stop using them. It's easy. Get yourself the most fabulous water bottle you can find and carry it with you wherever you go. A wheel hub motor arrangement, with a motor in each of the two front wheels was used, setting speed records. This arrangement was sometimes referred to as an electric transmission, as the electric generator and driving motor replaced a mechanical transmission. The vehicle could not move unless the internal combustion engine was running..about reflective tape for bikers Bursitis occurs when the fluid filled sacs -- officially known as bursa -- that protect your muscles and tendons become inflamed. Repetitive motions, strenuous activities or other chronic conditions can cause bursitis. Although bursitis will typically heal on its own without medical intervention, conventional health care providers may prescribe nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin or ibuprofen or a corticosteroid to alleviate your discomfort. [url=http://www.cyclingcloth.com/]Cycling Cloth[/url] Finding a store that sells air mattresses is pretty easy. They've become popular for everyday use, so most department stores carry them. Wal-mart and Target carry a variety of air mattresses in their outdoor section. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.. Giving your eyes a wide berth of coverage, the Tifosi Logic XL sunglasses have a lens tint to accommodate you and your adventures, from predawn runs to cycling in the glaring sun. Featuring interchangeable lenses, frame includes 3 sets of lenses (gray, red and clear tints) that accommodate bright light, low-medium light and evening conditions. Lightweight and virtually shatterproof, polycarbonate lenses are 20 times more impact resistant than glass and one-third the weight.