Wednesday, November 08, 2006

With an afternoon to myself, why not make a little butternut squash ravioli?


Greg's parents brought an enourmous butternut squash with them from PA (along with an enourmous pumpkin and, previously, two huge zucchini). The squash was as large as head pillow for an airplane, literally. I got it around my neck and then I couldn't pull it off. Squash ravioli it is. I felt I had to record this particular cooking endeavor, given its mamoth proportions.



Even splitting this thing open was a challenge! But the guts look cool


Cleaned out and sprinkled with coarse salt, it was so orange that it overexposed the red channel in my camera in all of the photos I took.





Roasted, it made the house smell delicious. (There's a long story that occurred while I was roasting the squash, but I'll leave that for another day)


Eventually, we got to eat the ravioli. With a good salad and a glass of wine, that's a perfect meal.




Here's the recipe:

2 cups butternut squash, split and seeds removed
3/4 c. pecorino cheese (the good stuff), grated
1/2 c. parmesan cheese (the good stuff), grated
5 tbsp butter
4tbsp maple syrup
1/4-1/2 c. chopped walnuts (I like them fairly finely chopped)
1 sweet onion, sliced thinly
1 c. white wine
Salt and pepper to taste
I used wonton wrappers because I was too busy to roll out pasta dough, but fresh pasta would bring this over the top.

1. Sprinkle the squash with coarse salt and roast for ~60 minutes at 350, or until fork tender. Process through a ricer
2. Add cheeses, 1tbsp butter and 2tbsp maple syrup
3. Form into ravioli
4. Drop into boiling salted water and cook until they float

Meanwhile, make the sauce:
1. Add remaining butter and onion to a pan and carmelize for about 15 minutes. Add remaining maple syrup
2. Deglaze with ~1c. white wine
3. Add walnuts, more butter if necessary, and reduce by half

Assemble with salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.